All day yesterday, I was thinking what I have learned while being married. Here is what I came up with:
1. Always communicate! Express your feelings and don't be afraid of how the other person is going to react. If you feel the other person is going to get upset, rehearse what you are going to say before saying it.! I have learned that Sal isn't going to judge me when I express my feelings. It took me a while to really learn this one.
2. LAUGH!!! Laughter helps avoid arguments or disagreements. Sometimes when Sal and I feel an argument coming on, we just start saying random things and then laugh about, avoiding any type of argument. Again, took a while for this one to kick in!
3. Don't keep secrets! Sal is honest with me and will tell me anything, even if it might be something I don't want to hear. I would rather hear it now than later! I kept my credit card debt a secret from Sal for a long time and now that I told him (and it is gone!!), I feel so much better and I really feel our relationship is so much better!
4. Don't stress over the small things. If the dishes don't get done right away or laundry piles up, don't get mad. I am the one guilty of this! But I have realized that those things can wait and eventually they will get done. I have realized when I stress, arguments happen.
5. Keep the friendship alive! Sometimes with busy schedules and routines, it is hard to remember that you are friends. People say keep the romance alive, which is also a great way to a happy marriage, but I think you need to remember that you are friends also. This is one is hard to explain but you just have to learn to be comfortable around each other!
I asked Sal what he learned in 5 years of marriage and here is what he said (disclaimer: his are more short and sweet and much more funny but very important!)
1. Don't get butt hurt!
2. Don't argue, especially over stupid little things. (Note: Sal and I once got in an argument over how to spell a word. LAME!!!) We don't argue that much any more. I really can't remember the last time we argued.
3. When watching a movie and wanting to share a good laugh, don't fall asleep! (this one applies to me. I tend to fall asleep in movies and Sal gets so bothered. I am working on it!).
4. Show affection!
5. LAUGH! We both agree on this one.
I would like to hear what you have learned in marriage or in your relationships! I am always interested in what works for other couples!
7 comments:
Congratulations Vicki and Sal!!!
I'm glad you guys were able to spend a nice evening out. I love the tips. Thanks. :)
Always remember that you are on the same team, working towards the same goals. If you keep that in mind, you'll try to compromise and work together instead of divide and try to get your own way or be 'right'. That's one of the many things I've learned in my almost 7 years. Happy Anniversary!
Yeah Sal and Vicki! What have I learned...I'm always right! Just Kidding. I have learned that it is a lot easer to laugh about things then get upset. Most important...Ryan and I truly respect and trust one another! That takes time.
What a fun night you guys had. Loving your 5 things you have learned in 5 years. That was cute.
I have learned that things go really well when prayers and scriptures are read daily. It makes for such a happier home when the spirit can dwell within.
You guys are darling and I am glad you had such a fantastic week.
You guys are so ROMANTIC! Glad that you found a great restaurant!!! I have been there and it is so YUMMY! Happy Anniversary!!!
I just found your blog Vicki and Sal! I love this post...after 4 years we're still working on this too. Great ideas...I need not to not stress either...and laugh more and sleep more and GRADE LESS PAPERS. LOL. Two more weeks for me then I have time to be a mom again! :)
Vicki! It is so fun to "see" you and your beautiful family! I love re-discovering old friends online. It's so fun to be back in touch! I have so many fun memories of one summer back in 1999...thanks for being a great friend! Love, Bobbi
Post a Comment