Wednesday, April 9, 2008

The Future of America!

I have been wanting to post funny things I hear at work for a while but many of things I hear are competely inappropriate and would probably give many of you heart attacks. But I finally remembered a few things and thought many of you would like to know what our future leaders are saying. By the way for those of you who don't know, I teach 12th grade English and 10th and 11th grade ELD (formerly ESL).

1. While reading the book Frankenstein, there is a part of the book that talks about an old man who is blind. One of my students raises her hand and says, "So does he know sign language?"

2. While telling my fifth period about the funny comment made about the blind man, one of my students says, "She is polish" (as in nail polish or to polish your car). I give this confused look and he says, "Yeah, someone who comes from Poland." He was trying to say she was a pollock. Again, dying laughing.

3. One of my students admitted that she asked her geography teacher if Philipino's came from Philadelphia.

4. One of my student's told one of my female students that she looked like she would be a soccer mom when she got older. She got so mad and hit my male student and was offended. Then she asked, "What is a soccer mom?"

I sometimes wonder about the future of America! While they make me laugh, it kind of is frightening that most of my students don't even know who the VP of the U.S. is!

Those are just a few of the things I hear at school! And they make fun of me for being blonde! Do you have any BLONDE moments??

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

They get this stuff from teachers. When I was in school if the teacher did not know the answer or question she/he was out, sent to the other side of town; where the parents did not seem to care what the teachers were teaching their kids, and did not go to the PTA meetings. Of course, seems like most all the teachers (over 51%) are the same. Like teaching them to slander other races, in joking, and have sex. Your estranged Family A Zuniga.. Go the google and type in ZUNIGA. I could go on and on, just saying: Don't follow just lead, at least yourself to the better of LIFE

Betsy said...

I know I don't have your link posted- but I do read your blog... congrats on 5 years. That's great. I usually don't comment, because I read while I'm at work- but the sign language joke make me LAUGH OUT LOUD! Thanks! And, congrats on the poop. p.s. you look beautiful in teh picture you have posted.