Thursday, July 24, 2008

Come on already!!! I need advice!!!



Why do kids need to be potty trained???????? If any of you know me, I am NOT a patient person. I thought my kid would get it and be potty trained. So NOT the case. On Tuesday, I took him out of the diaper and put him in underwear. He hasn't worn a diaper for 2 days now (except for naptime and bedtime) and it has not been fun. I bought 9 pairs of underwear and I have washed all of them due to accidents!! Are you kidding me? How hard is it to go to the bathroom in the toliet? Especially number 2, which was NOT done in the toliet! God is really trying my patience. I think when the church talks about having patience and learning patience, they mean "potty train a child and you will learn patience." It is taking everything in me not to strap my wonderful child to the toliet!




Day One: 5 accidents (one of which smelled bad) and one pee in the toliet


Day Two (so far): One pee in the toliet and 2 on the kitchen floor and it isn't even noon yet!!!




On a good note, at least he comes and tells me AFTER he has peed. I guess that is a good sign!




I need suggestions!!! HELP!!!!!!!




This is how I feel!!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is he ready? I know parents think that after a certain age their child should be on the ball with this, and the child is not ready for it.

have you tried a potty chart with an reward system. Also bibery helps as well :) "if you potty then you can get a piece of candy."

I waited until a month ago to train Marissa (my kid) and it took four straight days, and she was trained. Although she did have an accident today while she was playing during her playgroup, but I hear that is normal.

But what you are going through is completely normal as well. Marissa had accidents the first couple of days then after that she caught on. But I heard girls learn this quicker than boys ... so good luck and keep up the patience :)

Bobbi said...

I absolutely HATE potty-training. There's nothing fun about it. I learned after spending A YEAR trying to "train" my oldest son that I needed to just back off and let him tell me when he's ready to use the potty. It's tempting to try and rush into big boy underwear so that you can save some of that cash you've been flushing away on diapers, but if he's not ready, then you'll spend a lot more time cleaning up accidents than is necessary. I started "training" my oldest at age 2. He finally caught on to the potty thing right before his 3rd birthday. After A WHOLE YEAR, he suddenly decided on his own that he wanted to use the potty. It was like a light bulb came on when he was finally ready. I learned from that experience, and didn't even try to train my twins. They let me know when they wanted to start using the toilet. They were also around age 3. It was MUCH EASIER letting them train themselves!!! So, I suggest just backing off and letting your son take the lead. It doesn't matter if other kids his age are potty trained. You're still a good mom if your kid wears diapers until he's 3 or even 4. Eventually, he will catch on and realize that diapers are no longer for him. I promise he will not go to his first day of kindergarten wearing a diaper!!!

Jeanette said...

just stop. he's too young and not ready. i just got spencer trained and i did absolutely nothing. he just did it because he was ready. the other two didn't get trained until they were 3 1/2. all you are doing right now is stressing yourself out. i would always rather carry a few diapers around, and be able to throw them away, than carry 5 changes of clothes and then have to take them home and wash the crap out. hang in there, it will come.

amanda said...

vicki, my mom just had a double knee replacement and my dad calls me and says this:
"there's good news & there's bad nows:
the good news is mom's surgery went great & she is in recovery
the bad news is that izzy (aka frelly) still sh#*!s her pants"
she turned 3 in march
i've tried it all
help me

Titel Family said...

With Cody we waited until after his 3rd birthday. Daniel actually got him started one day while I was at work. He put underwear on him and took him potty every 2 hours no matter if Cody said he wanted to go or not. After that we kept that up for the next week and he finally got it. It does take a lot of patience and effort unless they are completely ready on their own. Cody still had accidents and went potty a couple of times in the back yard but they eventually get it. We are just now trying to potty train through the night and he's 4 1/2 now.
I definitely agree with those who say don't push if they aren't ready. It can be a difficult process but everyone told me that it's easier when they are ready and want to wear big boy underwear. To use it's common sense to want to go in the potty but to them it's a whole new world. Hang in there!

A Rosie Family said...

Poor thing! I think the only reason Porter became potty trained was because he saw Cody doing it and wanted to wear "big boy" underwear like his cousin. I say they totally need to be ready and "want" to do it otherwise it just might put YOU over the edge! Good luck!

Titel Troop said...

I am going to rub it and and tell ya that my 3 kids pretty much potty trained themselves. It was so easy, I completely lucked out. The girls where potty trained at 2 years. Tyler was ready because I noticed her diaper was dry a lot. We just put a potty chair in the middle of the front room and let her run around with no pants on and the she would sit on the toilet and go when she needed. Carson was so easy and just wanted to be a big girl like her sister. Riley wasn't ready till he was 3. I tried at 2 but he really had no interest so I waited. He had fun picking out his own underwear and that made him excited to pee in the big toliet. Everything he went in the potty he got a treat or reward. It helped a ton with him. We took him to the bathroom every few hours just to try even if he didn't have to go and then he finally got the hang of it. Good luck! I'm sure when he's ready it wont be too bad.

Betsy said...

that face is priceless! I love that picture!! I have no kids, so no advice... sorry

BC

Mamasita said...

I love everyone comments! Vicki who cares about your son and his issues. Just think he had to get it one day . he won't be 30 and in diapers! BY THE WAY.....


HAPPY 30th BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


Holy Smokes!!!! I win worst friend award for sure! I'm so SORRY I didn't call you we were camping. Sounds like you were sick. Let's please catch up!

Jodie said...

Okay, you need to send me the pics from SB!!!! It was soooooo much fun. I am loving your little stud muffin. He is so stinkin' cute. Did Sal like the "hand full" pic?? I am hoping to post about my trip sometime this week. My email is
creationbyjojo@yahoo.com
Love ya!!

Tami said...

HHIIIII VVIIICCCCKKKIIIIII!!!!!!!! HOW ARE YOU?? I FINALLY GOT BACK ON HERE AFTER LIKE 6 MONTHS!!! LOL YOU LOOK GREAT!! I HOPE EVERYTHING IS GOING GOOD WITH YOU AND YOUR FAMILY!!! =) MISS YA!!