This whole process took me about 2 1/2 hours and while I was doing this, Sal was making the stuffing for the turkey. So Salvador, was playing really good and coming in every once in a while to see what we were doing and then off he would go. After about 10 minutes of silence from him, I had to figure he was up to no good. Now usually when I have this feeling, it is wrong. He is usually just reading a book or watching Sesame Street but this time was different. He had gotten into mine and Sal's room, found some gum, and proceeded to eat and swallow it, most of the paper included. I tried to get mad but it was so funny, I just laughed it off and told him that was a no-no and don't do it again (yeah like that is going to happen). Sal came in and gave him a high five! Just the look on his face (I wish I could have captured it on camera) was priceless and so cute, I just laughed it off.
This was a horrible recreation for what I walked in on. I promise my son isn't high.
Thursday, November 22, 2007
I am more creative in my own mind
Every year for Thanksgiving, I am in charge of bringing dessert to my in-laws. I usually make a strawberry cake with white frosting. It is from a box but for some reason it always comes out so good. This year, I was inspired to get really creative with my cake. I wanted to decorate it all pretty and cute. I was inspired by my friend, Jeanette, who make beautiful cakes and by Shawna, who always has these crazy and wild cakes. So I went down to Angels (a cake decorating supply store) and looked at some of the ones they had on display. I saw one that looked very simple and had a beautiful design to it. I thought, "How hard can this be?" I bought the bags to put frosting in and the fun tip designs and was excited to start my project! This morning I woke up, baked my cakes from the box (but they still taste delicious), cut the strawberries to put in the middles and then frosted my 2 layer cake with white cream cheese frosting (SO GOOD!!!!). Then the creativity began. I made my orange frosting and started my design just like in the store. I soon realize, that it was really difficult and I really am NOT good at designing cakes. It looked good in my head but when it came out, it was just okay. It wasn't until halfway through my design, I realized how to do the lines. So half of my cake, looks pretty good and the other half, just looks like scribbly lines. I, do however, think I did okay on the chocolate little flowers. Overall, I have come to realize my calling in life is not to be a cake designer. At least it tastes good and that is all that matters!
This is the final outcome. Just keep in mind, this was my first time decorating a cake.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
your cake was awesome. Attempting that kind of intricate string work on your first attempt is VERY ambitious. It really does look fantastic. And you learned a lot right.
Post a Comment